Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cate Blanchett would love to be a Bond villain

by Dimitris Ioannou

In the past she has portrayed the role of queen Elizabeth twice and won an Academy Award for playing the great Katharine Hepburn in Martin Scorsese's film “The Aviator”, but for the talented Cate Blanchett, nothing is enough. As she admits on the April's issue of the UK's edition of Harper's Bazaar, she would love to be a Bond villain.

The Australian actress poses for the acclaimed photographer Alexi Lubomirski, and reveals everything about her career and her future expectations in the interview accompanies the photo shoot. When asked if she was offered a role as a Bond villain, she replied: Oh God! Yes! I’d be there in a heartbeat. I love Lotta Lenya [Ross Klebb in 1963’s From Russia with Love]. She had a club foot and a limp. I’m not a purist in that way.

Although she loves both cinema and theatre she admits that is quite easier to be in charge in a theatre than direct a movie. “There is a film I’d love to direct, but I just don’t know if I’ve got the patience. In theatre, you can have an idea and get on with it. In film, you hear of people sitting on an idea for eight years, by which time the idea has changed and evolved and become something else” she says.

The talented actress who is married to the Australian playwright, screenwriter, and director Andrew Upton and has three kids, manages to balance extremely well both her family and her busy career. “My husband went through a phase of giving me vacuum cleaners, sewing machines and Mixmasters. It’s ironic. He is encouraging me to develop a hobby, I think. An actress once advised me, “Make sure you do your own laundry - it will keep you honest””, she explains.

This April, Blanchett returns to the London stage, starring in Big And Small at the Barbican. Later this year she will reprise the role of Galadriel in the first of “The Hobbit” movies by Peter Jackson. In 2012 she is set to appear in two films directed by Terrence Malick, “Lawless” and “Knight of Cups”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...